We aim to empower staff and support pupils with hearing impairment. Training on supporting deaf pupils in the mainstream classroom covers:
- A look at different types and levels of hearing loss and the impact they have on a pupil within a mainstream classroom;
- The importance of using and maintaining equipment;
- Teaching strategies and helpful hints;
- The listening environment.
Examples of resources include:
- Guide to using a Radio Aid;
- Makaton signs relating to Covid-19;
- Covid-19 – checking audiological equipment and reducing infection risk;
- Covid-19 –returning to school for pupils with hearing impairment;
- Webinar Series:‘My Understanding of Deafness’for primary pupils;
- Webinar Series:‘My Understanding of Deafness’for secondary pupils;
- Becoming a Listening Champion.
Training and resources are free for staff and settings in Waltham Forest. There is a charge for schools or families in other boroughs.